We are committed to using research and projects to show New Zealand:
- How our homes can be warmer, drier, healthier, cost less to run, be adaptable for the future, and use less resources.
- How our neighbourhoods can be adaptable, sustainable, and a place where residents enjoy interacting, working, living and relaxing locally.
- How our communities can be resilient and strong, and work together.
Our demonstration projects:
- Warmframe duplex at Hobsonville
- High Performance House at HIVE
- NZHF HomeSmart Home
- Waitakere NOW Home
Upgrading existing homes - our projects:
- Options to upgrade or retire homes in Tamaki
- Build Back Smarter in Christchurch
- HomeSmart Renovation project
- Papakowhai Renovation project
Neighbourhoods and communities
- Developing good practice medium density
- Helping communities to lead change
- Assess your neighbourhood’s sustainability
Find out about upcoming events in the Housing Matters seminar and study tour series in Canterbury.
Home Performance Advisor training
Find out more about training to become a certified Home Performance Advisor and upcoming courses.
New on the website!
How is Europe addressing housing affordability challenges?
This March/April 2017 study tour takes in London, Manchester, Freiberg, Hamburg, and Malmo.
Resources for homeowners
Come here to find out how to make your home warmer, drier, healthier and cheaper to run.
- A homeowner manual
- Information on how to make your home warm, dry and healthy with lower power and water bills
- Checklists for upgrading and maintaining your home
- Where to go for advice
Resources for councils
Come here to find:
- A Resource Manual for Local Goverment
- Water demand management tools
- Neighbourhood sustainability assessment tools
- Community-led planning toolkit
- Community placemaking facilitation and expertise
- Housing typologies in your area
Resources for government
Come here to find:
- The National Value Case for Sustainable Housing
- Rental housing fact bank
- Unflued gas heater fact bank
- Toolkit for Residential Design & Build Competitions
- How large scale house upgrades can create jobs
Check out the services and expertise we can offer your organisation
- Share our knowledge
- Robust tools and help to use them
- Expert advice from our team
- Experience in scoping and running projects
- Bringing together partners in collaborative ventures
Check out The Beacon Blog - in the latest, Verney Ryan says
Follow us on Facebook
Beacon’s original research programme included work on:
- Indoor Environment Quality
- Market Transformation
- Performance of Rental Housing Resource More
- Home Performance Advisor training More
- Policy options for sustainable homes: A resource manual for local government More
- Making your home HomeSmart: A homeowner manual More
- Neighbourhood Sustainability Framework and Assessment Kit More
- National Value Case for Sustainable Housing More