We are an Incorporated Society committed to transforming New Zealand's homes and neighbourhoods. Through research and demonstration projects, we hope to show how to make our homes higher performing (resource-efficient, cheaper to run, healthier to live in), adaptable, resilient and affordable.
Find out how to design and build new homes that perform better with our new build demonstration projects:
- High Performance House at HIVE
- NZHF HomeSmart Home
- Waitakere NOW Home
- Rotorua NOW Home
Find out how to renovate smarter with our renovation projects:
- Build Back Smarter in Christchurch
- HomeSmart Renovation project
- Papakowhai Renovation project
Find out how to measure and value neighbourhood sustainability in New Zealand.
- Neighbourhood Sustainability Framework
- Valuing neighbourhoods
Come here to find:
- Resources for homeowners
- Resources for practitioners
- Resources for local government
- Resources for central government
- Conference, symposia papers and study tours
New on the website
The new Toolkit for Residential Design and Build Competitions - learn from Christchurch’s Breathe competition.
The Beacon Blog
Vicki Cowan tells us why she thinks the new training for Home Performance Advisors is such a great idea!
Read our latest blog at
Find out what we’re up to on Facebook
Beacon’s original research programme included work on:
- Indoor Environment Quality
- Market Transformation
Based on our research and demonstration projects, we have developed resources for homeowners, councils and industry.
- Build Back Smarter checklist and guides - how you can upgrade your home’s performance during earthquake repairs. More
- Retrofitting wall insulation: Benefits and the opportunity earthquake repairs offer Christchurch - A fact bank on why wall insulation works and why it should be included in earthquake repairs. More
- Policy options for sustainable homes: A resource manual for local government - Information and examples to support councils in developing policies and programmes which encourage sustainable building and renovation. More
- Making your home HomeSmart: A homeowner manual - What to watch out for when renovating, and how to get the best performance from your home. More
- Neighbourhood Sustainability Framework and Assessment Kit - The tools to assess the sustainability of both new and existing neighbourhoods. More
- National Value Case for Sustainable Housing - This policy document assesses the value of making sustainable interventions across New Zealand’s housing stock. More
- Forced air ventilation systems - A study of how well these systems work to improve cold damp homes. More
- Unflued gas heater fact bank - Why unflued gas heaters are dangerous for your health and pocket. More