The Rotorua neighbourhood
The Rotorua NOW Home® is in the Fordlands area of Rotorua. Fordlands was created in the late 1950s as a state housing area, with a fringe of private ownership. During the 1990s, much of the state housing in Fordlands was sold - mainly to private investors as rentals. It is one of the most deprived suburbs in the Rotorua District.
With Housing New Zealand’s commitment to community renewal of Fordlands, it made sense to locate the Rotorua NOW Home® within this community. The tenants enjoyed the easy walking access to many community features including:
- Supermarket and shops (5 minutes walk)
- An extensive park system, dating back to the original Ford homestead.
- Four kohanga reo, several Pacific Island preschools, a public kindergarten and a daycare centre
- Three primary schools (10-15 minutes walk)
- A junior high school, intermediate school, and high school
- A Te Wananga O Aotearoa campus
For trips further afield, the house is on a main bus route which goes into Rotorua central business district.
The Rotorua NOW Home® tenants expressed concerns about security. They felt that the main road boundary fence was too low, making it too easy for people to walk over it. They also felt it did not give them enough privacy from neighbours and people on the street.
- The layout and design of the Rotorua NOW Home®
- Energy efficiency in the Rotorua NOW Home®
- Healthy living indoors in the Rotorua NOW Home®
- Water conservation in the Rotorua NOW Home®
- Waste management in the Rotorua NOW Home®
- The Rotorua neighbourhood